-->

English Grammar Narration exercise

English Grammar Narration by Mr. Rupjyoti Goswami

A. Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech:
(1) He says, "I always do my duty."
Ans:-He says that he always does his duty.

(2) She says, "My mother is ill."
Ans:-She says that her mother is ill.

(3) Aruna says, "I am a school girl."
Ans:-Aruna says that she is a school girl.

(4) You will say, "I shall go to Shillong."
Ans:-You will say that you will go to Shillong.

(5) You said to me, "You are fortunate."
Ans:-You told me that I am fortunate.

(6) He is saying to me, "I don't believe you."
Ans:-He is saying to me that he doesn't believe me.

(7) He said to me, "Rina is a clever girl."
Ans:-He told me that Rina was a clever girl.

(8) Rama said, "I was doing my homework."
Ans:-Rama said that he had been doing his homework.

(9) Tarun said to Barun, "You will be happy."
Ans:-Tarun told Barun that he would be happy.

(10) Ratna said to her sister, "I have done this."
Ans:-Ratna told her sister that she had done that.

(11) Atul said to me, "I bought a new camera yesterday."
Ans:-Atul told me that he had bought a new camera the previous day.

(12) Father said to me, "God is good."
Ans:-Father told me that God is good.

(13) I said to them, "You have done wrong."
Ans:-I told them that they had done wrong.

(14) He said to me, "I shall not mix with you."
Ans:-He told me that he would not mix with me.

(15) He says to me, "I shall tell you a long story."
Ans:-He tells me that he will tell me a long story.

(16) Mridul is saying, "I can sing well."
Ans:-Mirdul is saying that he can sing well.

(17) He said to me, "Spring comes after winter."
Ans:-He told me that Spring comes after winter.

(18) My father said to you, "I walk two miles every morning."
Ans:-My father told you that he walks two miles every morning.

(19) She said to me, "My uncle will come here tomorrow."
Ans:-She told me that her uncle would go there the next day.

(20) He said to you, "I visited Chandigarh last year."
Ans:-He told you that he had visited Chandigarh last year.


ii. Report the following in Direct Speech:
(1) He said that he was weak.
Ans:-He said, "I am weak."

(2) You said that time and wait for none.
Ans:-You said, "Time and tide wait for none.

(3) He said that he would go there next day.
Ans:-He said, "I shall go there tomorrow."

(4) Ram said that he had been reading the Mahabharata.
Ans:-Ram said, "I have been reading the Mahabharat."

(5) I wrote that I would visit him next day.
Ans:-I wrote, "I shall visit you tomorrow."

(6) He said that he was tired.
Ans:-He said, "I am tired."

(7) He told me that he had passed the examination.
Ans:-He said to me, "I have passed the examination."

(8) The man told the girl that he knew her father.
Ans:-The man said the father , "I know your father."

(9) He told me that he was very glad to be there that evening.
Ans:-He said to me, "I am very glad to be here this evening."


iii. Turn into the Indirect form of Speech:
(1) Raj said to Rumi, "Are you hungry?"
Ans:-Raj asked Rumi if she was hungry.

(2) He said to me, "Will you listen to me?"
Ans:- He asked me if I would listen to him.

(3) I said to the boy, "Have you anything to say?"
Ans:-I asked the boy if he had anything to say.

(4) The mother said to her son, "Did you hear what your father said?"
Ans:-The mother asked her son if he had heard what his father had said.

(5) He said to me, "May I have a cup of tea?"
Ans:-He asked me if I might have a cup of tea.

(6) Hiron is saying, "Where will you go?"
Ans:-Hiron is saying where I shall go.

(7) They said to me, "Why have you come here?"
Ans:-They asked me why I had gone there.

(8) I said to the woman, "Do you know me?"
Ans:-I asked the woman if she knew me.

(9) He said to me, "Why do you look sad?"
Ans:-He asked me why I looked sad.

(10) He said to his friend, "How long have you been waiting for me here?"
Ans:-He asked his friend how long he had been waiting for him there.

(11) I said to him, "Shall I go home now?"
Ans:-I asked him if I would go home then.

iv. Turn into Direct Speech:
(1) I am asking him if he plays football.
Ans:-I am asking him, "Do you play football?"

(2) The teacher asked me if I knew how to swim.
Ans:-The teacher said to me, "Do you know how to swim?"

(3) I enquired of him if it was true.
Ans:-I said to him, "Is it true?"

(4) You asked me why I had failed.
Ans:-You said to me, "Why did you fail?"

(5) He asked me what my name was.
Ans:-He said to me, "What is your name?"

(6) I asked them whether they had seen the Tajmahal.
Ans:-I said to them, "Have you seen the Tajmahal?"

(7) Arun asked me how old I was.
Ans:-Arun said to me, "How old are you?"

(8) She asked him if he would help her.
Ans:-She said to him, "Will you help me?"

(9) I asked him if he knew English.
Ans:-I said to him, "Do you know English?"

(10) They enquired of me who I was.
Ans:-They said to me, " Who are you?"

 

Mr. Rupjyoti Goswami
Post Graduate Teacher (English)
Bhogeswar Hazarika Girls' Higher Secondary School, Bebejia, Nagaon, Assam.
Email: rupjyotigoswami983@gmail.com
Mobile: 9864425896.
Contact us (whatsapp no-7020477396) for free notes on English, Political Science, Logic & Philosophy, MIL Assamese, Advanced Assamese, Swadesh Adhyayan, Economics, Education, History.

Previous
Next Post »